The Milwaukee Railroad decided to build
west of the Missouri River. In 1905,
the railroad is as far west as
Presho. In 1906 the railroad is as far as
Vivian, and in 1907 the train went as far
west as Murdo. On July 22, 1907
the train made its first run to Rapid
City.
Lot
sale
Joe Moore, in 1892,
was established in a store and post
office located east of the present town
site-said to be
the first site of Vivian. In 1906, he
moved the store and post office to Vivian;
and in April of 1907 sold to John Morrissy
Miss Moore continued as postmistress.
Vivian got its name after the Christian
name of Mrs. Harvey Hunter, whose husband
was a pioneer lawyer,
land agent and a representative of the
Milwaukee Railroad Company when the town
was founded.
Medicine Creek is a translation of a Sioux
name meaning "Medicine Butte Creek," given
it because it flows near
Medicine Butte north of Reliance. Medicine
Butte so called because it was a place
where the Sioux Indians gathered to
make medicine.
Stoney Butte was formerly McClure Butte,
named for Patterson Frances McClure who
was prominent in
the early affairs instrumental in opening
part of Lower Brule for white settlement.
The name was appropriately dubbed
"Stony Butte" by the early settlers
because of its rocky exterior.
Foot
racing
VIVIAN W AVE: July
13, 1906
As was advertised the lot sale today took
place (Wednesday forenoon, July 11,1906.)
It was an ideal day and
consequently an immense crowd was present.
The special train bearing C. A. Padley,
general land agent for the
Chicago Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad
Co.; his chief fieldman, A. L. Le Claire;
the auctioneer, J. H. Chrichton, and
also a large crowd of passengers arrived
in the city about nine o'clock.
After looking over the town for about an
hour, Mr. Padley invited their attention
toward him as he delivered a
short speech in regard to the up-building
and development of the town and county,
and the brief history of the railroad
company. He then announced the prices of
business lots at the minimum prices:
corner lots, $200 and inside lots, $150.
The minimum prices of residence lots were
$100 for corner lots and $75 for inside
lots. Bidders were to bid for choice
and to pay a bonus for choice, and the
amount bid to be added to the minimum
price. Terms were to be 10% discount
for cash or on a contract of one-third
cash, and the balance on one or two years
time, at 7% interest.
VIVIAN WAVE: August
10, 1906
Foot racing is the chief sport in Vivian
at present. Nick Olson has proven himself
to be the champion. Laf
Rundall may have taken the honor if he
hadn't stubbed his toe.
Lumber-yard
sold
VIVIAN WAVE: August 31, 1906
The Fuller Lumber Company leaves the field
to J. A. Smith and J. F. Anderson. A deal
has been made between
the three lumber companies doing business
in this place, whereby the Fullerton
company disbursement of its stock of
lumber and goods will go to the other two
yards, J. F. Anderson and the H. A. Smith
companies. An agreement was
made so that one of them is to drop out in
each of the towns, Vivian, Presho, and
Draper. J. F. Anderson goes to Presho,
the Fullerton Company to stay in Vivian;
and J. A. Smith Company to go to Draper.
This will reduce the expenses of
each company and allow them to have
practically the same amount of business.
J. F. Anderson has already moved into
the building vacated by the Fullerton Co.
John Evans, who has so ably looked after
the business for the Fullerton Co.,
was transferred to Draper as soon as the
business is closed up here.
A list of Final Proof
notices
VIVIAN WAVE: July,
1907
Bryan R. Conway, Charles Noble,
Arthur Morse, Clarence W. Spawn,
James Mann, William Thomas,
Gladys
M. Wilson, Peter Clausen, Joe Mike,
Otis A. Whan, Joseph Mott, Leander
Hulce, Nelson Bagley, Oliver Martin,
Joseph Moore, Columbus Goforth,
Arthur Noe, Thomas Moore, Clarence
Hecht, Florence Harrington, Perly
Stevens,
Lafayette Rundall, Jorgen Clausen, Irvin
Phillips, Peter Bayer, Oliver Martin,
Osgood Wait, Ira Hockenbury, William
Coon, Bruce Bruntlett, Frank Beith,
Hortense Bagley, Byron Conway, Walter
Minty, William Richards, Arthur Morse,
Alexander Wortley, George Minty, Louis
Woodward;
Sadie Irwin, Harry Hitchcock, Fred
Dibbert, Herbert McGraw, Daniel Lillie,
Guy Cowan, Irvin Phillips, Halvor
Strum, Christian Neilson, Edward Westphal,
William Thomas, Charley Cook, Jane Whan,
Sigvart Siverson, Henry
Newman, Charles S. Farrer, Asa D. Robbins,
James Loughren, Earnest Sage, Roy Davis,
Peter O'Byrne, John Walsh,
Bernard Sloan, Will Meskel, Bertha Malone,
Michael Murphy, Henry Mattson, Carl
Lintvedt, Ole Rognstad, Blanche
Luge, Will Boyd, Reinhold Juhnke, Henry
Mahnken, Olaf Erikson, Lilla Stewart,
Duane Bradshaw, Edna Bradshaw,
Frank Stewart, Frank McCormick, Rodney
Acker;
Joseph Murray, Samuel
Carson, George Wuest, Levi DeGarlis,
Charles Noble, Orlanda McCary, Eugene
Clingen,
William Straus, Nevin Ross, Oliver Martin,
Thomas Johnson, Calilo Zakeb, Charles
Flint, Samuel Carlson, Alfred Nelson,
Walter Bealer, Rodney Acker, Opul Olson,
Seymour Snyder, Jean Turner, Rueben Ader,
Bert Leggett, Edward Sliter,
Henry McConkey, Elsie Ficke, Anton
Syvertsen, Joseph Mike, Olophene Werby,
Tom Dagsland, Michal Clover, Joseph
Milke, Arthur Colgan, Reuben Ward,
Axel Olson, Frank Heath, Ellis
Shoop, Ida Slinde, Alice McDormatt, E. K.
Sletto,
Oscar Lintvedt, John Yates, Lawerence
Hosking, O. Sanders, Hugh McKimmie, M.
Jefferson, Samual Coon, Jeanie
McKowan;
Will Lugen, Archie Gibson, Nancy Coon,
Winnifred M cKimmie, W ill Costello, J.
Floyd Perry, Cyrus Cook, Alvin
Wickey, Henry Dahl, Mary Dahl, Clyde Day,
Wm. O'Callaghanall, William Agnew, Oren
Griswold, Frank Andrews,
Nelson Rodman, Percy Wilcox, Anton
Gilbertson, Edward Gamble, Alvin Gamble,
Chris Bjerke, James Morton, Elmer
Ale, Miles Goffney, Charles Noble, John
Watt, Milton Hopping, Clarence Spawn,
Assaf Gosen, Abdon Montague,
Lafayette Rundall, Asa D. Robbins, John
Kinsey, Peter Bayer, James Loughren,
Alfred Ohlson, Walter Minty, Roy Davis,
Hoyt Cox, Fannie Park, Jean Turner,
Dan Lobdell, Asgood Wait, George Ward,
Rank Drolls, Ida Slinde, Walter Biely,
George
Olson, Jeanie McGowan, Nannie Ross ,
Daniel Desmond, William Costello, Bessie
Hitchcock, William Wilson, Earnest
Lawson, Laura Woodward, Bessie Sletto,
Ottilie Juhnke, Louis Siemer, Ole Sletto,
Martha Alsager, Olaf Burnll, Oliver
Martin, Clarence Horsfall, Elna Bevans,
Louis Freese, Walt Meskel, Charles Hanson
and John DeDecker.
Whitbeck Bank
VIVIAN WAVE: 1906
Whitbeck
Bank came from Chamberlain. H. B. Holmes
became a partner, and came to work in the
bank in 1909.
He remained here until the bank failed and
closed. (1928-1929). The story goes that
Mr. Whitbeck, an ardent Seven Day
Adventist, was found to have been
indescreptive with the use of the bank's
fund. He poured funds into an Adventist
Sanatorium. This left the bank with no
reserves when banks began to fail. The
Vivian Whitbeck Bank closed its doors
in 1929.
Vivian State Bank
The Vivian State Bank, January 9,1909,
Alfred Ohlson, cashier 1909-1913;
Harry Calahan, cashier 1918; O. C.
Boyle, made the first deposit when the
bank was opened. S.P. Severson was the
first president, 1909-1914; M.F.
Severson the first vice-president.
The structure burned in 1915, and
was replaced with the present structure.
T. A. Regnier, cashier 1913-1915; Fred
Brown, cashier 1916-1918; Presidents: C.
F. Kruegar. 1914-1917; W. L.
Montgomery 1917-1921; E. M. Sedgwick
1921-1924; H. VV. Shoop 1924-1929; O. C.
Dunlap, 1929 .
Directors who served the bank down through
the years were: O. L. Lintvedt, C. J.
Wilson, Mrs. Bertie Dunlap,
Myrle Hilton, Nellie Callanan Vance,
Omar Vance, cashier 1944-1946; C. W.
Tomhave, vice-president 1946-1955; Dave
Moore 1950, became cashier 1955. Other
employees: Rex Heston, La Donna Breen,
Maxine Hullinger, Doris Burns,
Ruth Weaverstad, Donna Erikson,
Joyce Smith, Alice Larson, Arla
Lindquist, Marsha Moore, Russell Black,
Eunice Hullinger,
Yvonne Huffman.
In the year 1979, the Vivian State Bank
was purchased by the Pierre National Bank
and the name was then
changed to Bank West.
Only band in Lyman
County
VIVIAN WAVE: April
12, 1907
The Vivian band, the
only band in Lyman County, will make its
first appearance next Tuesday evening. A
good crowd
should be out to the dance to encourage
the boys. The proceeds are to go toward
paying for the instruments and music.
(Later) The dance was given and the
receipts amounted to nearly $20 above
expenses, which will almost put the band
boys out of debt. The band was led by
William Stolley; Jim McWhirter played the
slide trombone. His brother, Wilson,
played the drums. They furnished the music
for the bowery dances on the street. Names
of the other members of the
band were unavailable.
One
year old
VIVIAN WAVE: July
12, 1907
Vivian was one year old Thursday of this
week, that being the anniversary of the
lot sales. While the town has
not experienced the boom that some other
towns of the County have, it has made a
steady growth and today has a very
bright future before it. A year ago,
(1906), the only building on the present
town site was the Milwaukee depot; and in
that time has built up a town with most
lines of businesses and professions
represented. The town now has two large
general stores, one hotel, and grocery,
one restaurant, two lumber yards, two real
estate offices, a bank, a drug store, a
meat market, livery barn, a blacksmith
shop, tin shop, feed store, pool hall and
a number of nice residences. There is
also a furniture store, which will be
ready for business as soon as stock can
arrive; a clothing store and another
black-
smith will soon be open. Vivian has a good
territory to draw from and all lines of
businesses have enjoyed exceptionally
good trade.
List of
businessmen in Vivian
VIVIAN WAVE: July 1,
1907
Contractor and Builder, Chris Buck;
General Merchandise, John Morrissy;
Feed and Flour, Syyertsen and
Sanders; Department Store E.K. Sletto;
Real Estate and Loans, Flint Bros.;
Hotel and Groceries, Bagley; The City
Restaurant, W. J. Dills; Carpenter
and Contractor, George W. Baltzer;
Harness maker, William Stolley; General
Auctioneer, Frank H. Palmer; The Palace
Livery, A. C. Nelson, proprietor - George
Gasen; Bank, A. C. Whitbeck; J. A.
Smith Lumber Co, J. S. Smith, Mgr.;
The Vivian Meat Market, C. J. Bulla;
Confectionary Store, Beulah Weber
and
Bros.; Tinner and Plumber, Chas. H. Hinch;
Furniture Store, W. K. Thomas;
Blacksmith, R. C. Ward; Meat Market,
Carl Kettlesen; Physician and Surgeon,
Blake S. Allison, M. D.; Contractor and
Builder, W. J. O'Callighan; Tailor,
J.
W. Swift; City Restaurant, Ole
Magistad; Barber Shop, J. A.
Glass; Sign Painter and Paperhanger,
E. L. Tesselden
and Drug Store, Carrie Sacker.
Some short notes
1906 - VIVIAN WAVE
Vivian,
S. D. Moore Post Office
Sherman Bates, Editor
1907
July 5, 1907
A bunch of 25 or 30 Italians arrived
here this week-end. They are working on
the railroad.
Aug. 16 .Rev. Minty organized an M.
E. Church and Sunday School.
Aug. 9
.O. P. McCray is circulating a petition
asking the county commissioners to put a
bridge across the Medicine Creek
straight south of Main Street and to open
up a road southeast of town.
Aug. 16. John Morrissey and the Ice
Cream Parlor had gas lighting plant put in
this week.
Aug. 30 .The Vivian school opens
next Monday. Miss Imelia Skinde has been
engaged as teacher. There are 25 students.
Sept. 18 .There is a new bell for
the school house.
Sept. 6. Dr. Blake S. Allison of
Wentworth, S. D. is soon to locate here.
He rented the Flint Bros. Real Estate
Office.
Sept. 6 .The trustees of the M. E.
Church in Vivian met at the office of
White & Parrick and decided to begin
the erection
of a church building in Vivian.
Nov. 28 The new fire engine
and hose cart arrived last Thursday
afternoon, It was unloaded that evening
and hauled
around town by the young people.
Dec. 13. Services in Vivian at 10:30
by Father Kelly. August 2 .The first Lyman
County Fair will be held in Presho on
Sept. 10, 11, 12 and 13.
1908 -Distance above sea
level at Vivian-1899 Ft.
1909 - The first Stock Show
in Vivian was held in the summer of 1909.
1915 .Dr. Webster installed
a telephone.
Jan. 15. Wheat $1.38.
Fourth of July
VIVIAN WAVE: July 5,
1907
July Fourth, this nation's birthday has
come and gone. The celebration at Vivian,
although being hindered by
numerous unavoidable conditions was a
success. The bridge being out at
Chamberlain, some things which would have
been added to the enjoyment if the
occasion could not be gotten here. The day
was an intensely hot one, but the large
crowd which came to Vivian to celebrate
made the best of it. The program was
carried out nearly as advertised. After
the parade, the people assembled at the
bowery where music was rendered by the
band, followed by prayer by W. K.
Thomas. The school children sang a song.
The audience was then favored by a
beautiful solo by Miss Gladyne McWhirter.
The train on which the speaker was to come
was nearly two hours late, so the address
by the Hon. I. N. Auld of
Oacoma was postponed until one o'clock.
After dinner the crowd assembled at the
bowery and listened to a very patriotic
address full of good advice for the people
of Lyman County.
Then the band led the way to the ball
grounds where the game between Vivian and
Murdo was pulled off. The
game resulted rather disastrous for the
home boys, the score was 12 to 3 in favor
of Murdo. A wind storm came up about
ten o'clock before nearly all the fire
works had been set off. The dance in the
bowery was well attended but the threaten-
ing weather caused them to move to the
hall for a while. A large number stayed
until daylight when the dance broke up.
Prairie fire
VIVIAN WAVE: April
16, 1908
Tuesday morning about 11 o'clock, the
gasoline stove in the shack of Mrs. Olson,
a widow lady living twelve
miles north of Vivian exploded and
seriously burned Mrs. Olson. It destroyed
her buildings and live stock. The fire
swept south into a terrific prairie fire,
as the wind was very strong. The fire
swept south in narrow strips, allowing new
head fires to break out.
Several abandoned shanties were
burned and many hay stacks. Just north of
Stony Butte, the
shack and barn of Al Jewitt were burned.
The barn, grain, chickens, and some live
stock of Mr. Eagen. The barn and
grain of Otto Gustavan burned. This meant
a loss of several hundred of dollars to
each.
After a hard fight, fire guard breaking,
and back firing, Mrs. Woodward's house was
saved. The house of Mrs.
Porter, just north of town, was
saved at the last moment owing to
her house not being cover-ed with tar
paper. Mrs.
Porter had already deserted the shack with
few bundles of clothing. She ran to an
empty cave for protection. The fire
was finally put out two miles north of
town.
HIGH WATER
VIVIAN WAVE: June 18, 1908
The recent high water damaged the bridge
over Medicine Creek. Instead of repairing
it a new 24-ft. bridge is
being built, straight south of main
street.
Notice For
Bids
VIVIAN WAVE: July
20, 1909
Sealed bids will be received at the office
of school clerk, up to and including
Friday, Aug. 13, 1909, for the
erection of an addition to the school
building in Vivian.
Ship cattle
by rail
VIVIAN WAVE: Oct.
21, 1909
Saturday will be another big day at the
Vivian Stockyards, John Mallock, a cattle
buyer from Chamberlain,
will ship a train load of 10 cars; Albert
Anderson will ship three carloads; John
Olson will ship six carloads. Altogether
this will make two train loads for the
Sioux City Market from Vivian.
Dr. Coy at
livery barn
VIVIAN WAVE: Oct.
21, 1909
NOTICE: Dr. Coy will make the
Vivian Livery Barn every Saturday. Dental
and operations attended to.
Paying taxes
VIVIAN WAVE: January
21, 1910
It is not necessary to go to Oacoma to pay
your taxes. The Vivian State Bank has a
duplicate tax list-Your taxes
can be paid at the Vivian State Bank!!!
Telephone stock
A paper was circulated
this week soliciting stock for a telephone
company here. Quite a number of shares
were
taken and nearly enough others promised to
finance a local exchange. A meeting is
called for Feb. 8th, to organize the
company and adopt a constitution and
by-laws.
To build
hotel
VIVIAN WAVE: March
II, 1910
Arrangements have been completed for the
building of a hotel in Vivian. The
building is to be located just north
of the old furniture store on the east
side of Main Street. It is not to be less
than 2ft by 50 ft. and two stories high.
The
businessmen and citizens have contributed
liberally. The building to be completed by
July 1st.
Seven years
old
VIVIAN WAVE: April
22, 1910
With this issue the Vivian Wave enters the
seventh year and since it
establishment has had varied experiences
as a frontier newspaper. The Wave
was first published at Westover on the
White River, the first issue being dated
March
26, 1904. W. H. McMasters was editor and
publisher. In September of the year the
paper was moved to Lund. During
the winter of 1905 and 1906 the Wave
building and equipment was burned. It was
several weeks before a new building
and outfit could be gotten to take the
place that was destroyed by fire. In the
spring of 1906 the Wave was moved
to
Vivian.
Matched foot race
VIVIAN W AVE: July
22, 1910
The
matched foot race between Grove Heath of
this place and Walter Hubbard of Presho
was pulled off at the
latter place last. Saturday. Our man
proved the winner. Grove did most of his
training behind a breaking plow.
Pony rides
Letter to Edwin: Well, I lived on
a farm with my parents, brother, and
three sisters. We kids didn't get to
come to town
only about once a month. One thing I do
remember is the pony cart and Shetland
pony that Oscar Lintvedt owned. He
would hitch the pony to the cart and let
Dan Webster drive us kids allover town.
Dan was a bigger boy, and liked to do
this. We thought it was a very special
treat. He especially remembers the day
that he. his sister. Mabel, and baby
brother Severre had their pictures
taken, standing on the board sidewalk on
the south side of Casey's Drug Store.
Joe
Casey took this picture.
Jumps 13 feet
July 29, 1910
L. C. Woodward comes on with the latest
snake story. Last week he was plastering
A. N. Whitaker's house
west of town. While there Lou slept in an
old shack. One night he got out of bed to
close the door. Mr. Rattler cut loose
with his alarm clock right under L. C.'s
feet. Lou jumped thirteen feet right over
the foot rail of the bed. After he had
recovered from the shock, he proceeded to
kill the rattle snake.
First annual
harvest picnic
VIVIAN WAVE: Aug.
13, 1910
Vivian's first annual harvest picnic has
gone to history and it will be remembered
as a most successful cele-
bration. The weather conditions were not
ideal; several showers interfering with
the morning pro-gram and keeping
away a large number of people. The tennis
tournament and morning ball game had to be
called off. 1n the afternoon,
there was a ball game-Vivian vs. Draper,
5-2 in favor of Draper. There were horse
races, foot races, a tug of war. Prizes
were awarded to the best teams; the newest
married couple; the homeliest man; the
largest family (the Shoop family).
A goodly number of Indians gave an exhibit
of their famous War Dance. Unfortunately
the Merry-Go-Round did not run
satisfactory.
VIVIAN WAVE: Feb. 3, 1911
Agent McCollum received word from the
Milwaukee Railroad authorities that they
will give the lease of eighty
acres, south of the track for the
Experiment Station. This is greatly
appreciated by the citizens of Vivian and
will be
doubly so if we land that appropriation.
Christmas Eve
in Vivian -1911
A letter written to
Miss Amy Washburn (Mrs. Jesse Heath) who
was living in Sturgis, S. D., from Mrs.
N. E.
Koon, of
Vivian, S.D.
Christmas Eve in
Vivian in 1911 was the first public
Christmas celebration the town had ever
given. The homestead-
ers were tired of their monotonous life
and were longing for the "old-time
celebrations like back home." The
program
was under the auspices of the M. E.
Church, then newly organized. The church
building being too small to accommo-
date the crowd, the program was given in
the city hall, which is above the only
store in town.
Committees were appointed and money for
the purchases of the candy, nuts, and
Christmas tree decorations was
solicited by popular subscription. The
largest Christmas tree in Mitchell was
ordered to be sent west to Vivian. Maudona
McCollum, Berniece Frost and H. B. Holmes
were the decoration committee.
At last came the evening for the program.
Everyone taking part seemed to be so
anxious and eager to do their
part that the program was a huge success,
by their enthusiasm, if not by actual
merit. After the program, candies and
nuts were passed out to everyone present.
Before leaving, everyone once more cast a
parting glance at the magnificently
decorated Christmas tree which
glittered and shone with its candles and
decorations as if it were bidding one and
all to stay. But finally young and old
departed-they went into the frosty night,
jumped into their sleighs, homeward bound,
tired each and all, happier than
when they came.
Pearl Hullinger remembers this program
very well. Her recitation in the program
was "The Night Before Chris-
mas" ... heart, mind and soul, refused to
utter the lines "and his little round
belly..." So she just skipped those lines
and
went on to finish the recitation.
VIVIAN
WAVE: Oct. 31, 1913
Quite a commotion took place in the post
office last night when the post mistress,
Anna Morrissy, demanded that
some linoleum be put on the floor. It
seems that in the extreme northeast corner
of the office there was a tiny hole which
allowed considerable cold air to come in.
It took some figuring to get said hole
covered up, but after some arguing by
Tom Regnier and Harry Kelly, and some
planning by the post-mistress, the
linoleum was put down and the hole was
covered up.
Free
marriages
March 5, 1915
It is a matter of fact that the newly
elected justice of peace at Vivian have
decided to tie all matrimonial knots
free of charge as an inducement to the
many bachelors in the county. No doubt
when this becomes generally know,
Vivian will be the Gretna Green of Lyman
County.
Vivian Post Office
q
Joseph
Moore -1906, Anna Moore,
Postmistress
q
John
Morrissy – 1907, Anna Morrissy,
Postmistress
q
Harry
Kelly - 1915
q
Joe Mott
– 1921 Post office was located in the
building next to where the HK Bar is now.
This building was
bought by Sam and
Signe Hall and now sits on a
corner lot east of the Bar.
q
Joe Mott
- Post office moved the old Whitbeck
Holmes Bank building.
q
L. E.
Hoskings - 1926
q
Jesse
Heath- 1924, Post office in the Heath
Building and later moved to the brick
building.
q
Harvey
Hullinger -1960, Post office now located
in a new brick building just north of
Vivian State Bank.
q
John
Petersen - July, 1963-Nov.1964
q
Burke
Severyn - Nov. 13, 1964
Churches
Preacher arrives
VIVIAN W AVE: March
25, 1910
The good people of
Vivian were so rejoiced at having a
preacher come into their midst, that they
bestirred
themselves to give him great recognition.
The suddenness of his coming made it
necessary to have brief arrangements
made by Wednesday evening. Our citizens
assembled themselves with happy hearts at
the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jostad
to have the preacher realize how much they
appreciated his coming. But alas, it was
soon learned that the preacher was
not to be found. The last known of him, he
had gone to one of the farthest points,
and knew nothing of the reception
that had been planned. However there was a
goodly attendance and a most enjoyable
evening was spent. Rev. Potter
arrived in town the next morning and now
the people are wondering just who the joke
was on!
First Norwegian
Lutheran Church West of Vivian
Vivian
Lutheran Church
In 1906, the second resident pastor came
to organize the Vivian Norwegian
Congregation. Rev. Thomas Alfred
Nelson took charge of the several
congregations by driving a single horse
and buggy to preach in his various
charges.
The next step was to build a church. It
was built on a plot of ground given by
Oscar Lintvedt, six miles west of Vivian.
In the early thirties the church was moved
to Vivian. Rev. Troen continued conducting
services here until 1939.
Rev. Baalson and Rev. Smeby followed Rev.
Troen. During the years 1947-1954, the new
church was built on the same
location. The old church building was sold
to Edith Gannon and became an addition to
the Gannon Store building. Since
the new church was built the following
pastors have served: Rev. Helm; Rev.
Harklau; Rev. Beckman; Rev. Hanson; Rev.
Lingen; Rev. Kelly.
Dedicate
church
VIVIAN WAVE: Oct.
28, 1910
The church in the Sletto Settlement
located on Oscar Lintvedt's place will be
dedicated next Sunday, Oct. 30,
1910 by Rev. Brudvig from Mitchell. The
services will begin at 10:30 a. m. There
will be an English service at 2:00 P. M.
Vivian
Catholic Church
The information on the Vivian Catholic
Church was unavailable for the most part,
so the following run down is
very sketchy. In 1904, there was a mission
church here, served by Father La Fluer. In
1919, a parish house existed here.
Sometime in the twenties Vivian and Draper
shared a Priest, Father O'Bryan.1n the
late 30's the church and priest's
house in Draper was destroyed by Fire.
Father Roberts served the church in the
early forties. Father Drew was resident
priest here when the Vivian church and
house was destroyed by fire in 1947.
Father Murray served the Vivian Church.
From here he went to be in residence at
Sky Ranch.
Father Heup-1950.
Father Valo- -1952. The Catholic Church
from Okaton was moved to Vivian and
remodeled. It was dedicated
the Sacred Heart Church in 1954. Vivian
became a mission church of Presho, served
by Monsignor Grady until 1971.
After the completion of the new church in
Presho in March, 1971, services were
discontinued in the Sacred Heart
Church in Vivian.
Vivian
Methodist Church
The Vivian Methodist Church had its early
beginning 1907- 1914. The first meetings
held in the school house
building where the Hansler home now
stands. Later a two room school building
was erected in Vivian, and the group
continued their meet
ings here.
The first appointed pastor was Rev. W.
Minty, who with his family settled 10
miles north of Vivian in Hope Valley. The
present church building was built in Hope
Valley in 1907. The first M.E. Church in
Vivian was organized June 3, 1911 by
the following signers: L. E. Hosking; G.
W. White; D. W. Kenyon; H. T. Frost;
Charles Q. Woodward; Walter Hitchock;
Herman Slinde; Dan C. Phinny
The Hope Valley building was given to the
Vivian M.E. Church in 1913 by the Dakota
Conference. A parsonage
was added to the Church property in 1911.
The M.E. Church became part of the Presho
Methodist Church in 1978.
Thirty one pastors served the Methodist
Church in its 67 years of existence.
Local
Legion Post a reality
VIVIAN
RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
A charter has been applied for and granted
by the State and National Headquarters for
the Webster-Newman
Post, No. 157 of the Department of South
Dakota. The following in the procedure of
the first meeting of the ex-soldiers
and sailors of Vivian and vicinity for the
purpose of organizing a local P
ost
of the American Legion. L.V. Newman elect-
ed temporary chairman.
Committee named by the chairman to suggest
a name for the said post. The committee
could not agree as to
name of the Post, so a vote was
taken of all those present, and the name
Webster- Newman was agreed on, in honor of
two former citizens of Vivian, Harry J.
Webster and L. Newman, who lost their
lives in the War of 1917- 1918. They
valued civilization and all that America
stands for. They gave their lives to the
cause of liberty and justice.
The following officers were elected -by
ballot: Post Commander - C.J. Aisinbrey;
Post Vice-Commander - H. B.
Holmes; Post Adjutant - L. V. Newman; Post
Finance Officer - C .J. Gregary; Post
Historian - C. J. Wilson; Post Chaplin -
C. T. Ross; Post Sergeant of Arms - P .H.
Schlotterback.
Stock Show
Winners
FANCY WORK: (The names of 1st and
2nd place winners given in that order.)
Home-made
bedspread- Mrs. Hulce (2nd);
Pillow Cases: Mrs. G. T. Williams,
Mrs. S.D. McLarnan; Hand-made towel:
Miss Westdahl, Mrs. T. A. Regier; Center
piece: Mrs. H. E. Kelly,
Mrs Frank Regier; Sofa cushion: Mrs.
O. P. Bunnell,
Mrs. H. C.Frost; Fancy bag:
Miss Westdahl (1st); Solid
embroidery: Mrs. Clara
Johnson, Mrs. H. E. Kelly; Eyelet:
Mrs.
H. E. Kelly, Mrs. S.D. McLarnan; Drawn
work: Mrs. J. Latimer (1st);
Colored embroidery: Mrs.
Frank Regier, Miss Olive
Koon; Punch work: Mrs.
H. E. Kelly, Mrs. O.P. Bunnell; Stencil
work: Mrs. S.D. McLarnan (1st);
Crocheting: Olive
Lillie, Miss Westdahl; Tatting: Mrs.
McMeekin, Mrs. Frank Heath; Painted
china: Miss Anderson,
Mrs. A. L. Jewitt;
Hand work, under 12 : Ethel
Halvorson, June Stolley; Loaf of
bread, girls under 16: Clothilde
DeGarlis (2nd); Cake,
girls under 16: Lois
Hosking (2nd); Best
baby under 6 mo.: Mrs.
Freeman, Mrs. C. Lintvedt; under
one year, Mrs. G.
Williams, Mrs. A. Thorson.
Sports
Best lady horse-back
rider,
Alpha Lawrence - $.300, Lorena
Gibson - 2.00
Bronco busting, Howard
McLarnan - 10.00; Geo. Shield - 5.00
Free-for-all dash (100 yd.) :
Avon Lester - 5.00 , Shorty Barton - 3.00
Relay foot race: Hullinger -
4.00
25 yd. dash (boys under 18):
Matt Schnert - 1.00, L.J.Moore
.50
50 yd. dash (boys under 12) -
Herman Zeisman 1.00, Clarence Marlin .50
Sack race: D. J. Hullinger
- 2.00
Night shirt race: Merle
Bunnell - 3.00
Handkerchief race: W. E.
Lerum - 3.00"
Rescue race: H. B.
Holmes - 3.00
Half-mile free for all: G.
Cherington - 10.00, Chas. Rabsdeau - 5.00
Quarter-mile pony race: A. J.
Hullinger - 10.00, Howard Morrissy - 5.00
Quarter-mile pony race for girls:
Edna Ohlson - 3.00 Signe
Sletto - 1.50
Quarter-mile Shetland pony race: J.
S. Hullinger - 5.00
Relay race on horse-back: Phil
Fallis - 10.00
Potato race on horseback: H.
B. Holmes - 5.00
Tug-of-war between Indians and whites, Whites
- One box of cigars
Vivian has
disastrous Fire
VIVIAN
WAVE: April 23, 1915
A fire Friday night
consumed the entire length of a block on
the west side of Main Street, with the
exception of
one building, destroying nine buildings,
which with their contents, represent about
$40,000. The properties burned are
as follows: Jas. A. Smith Lumber Yards and
buildings, owned by James A. Smith of
Osage, Iowa; restaurant building
owned by E. K. Sletto; Bunnell and Sons
hardware stock, building owned by E. K.
Sletto who also owned the adjoining
small building which had formerly been
occupied as a cream station; V.L.C.C.
library building owned by S.D. McLarnan;
H.C. Frost & Co. stock of general
merchandise, building owned by S.D.
McLarnan; Vivian State Bank; Hugh
McKimmie's pool hall, fixtures and stock,
building owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Bouquet,
Guttenberg, Iowa; S.L. Coon's
saloon, building owned by Schwenk-Barth
Brewing Co. of Yankton, S.D. The insurance
covers $16,000 of the loss.
The fire started about 8:00 o'clock in the
H. C. Frost & Co.'s store and was
caused by an explosion of a portable
gasoline lamp. The lamp had been lit by
Mrs. Frost in the store and carried out by
Mrs. Frost to their apartment in the
rear of the store. As she placed the lamp
on the table, a huge flame shot out from
it and in an instant the room was
enveloped in flame. The presumption is
that the tubing directly above the mantle
of the lamp had been melted by the
heat, permitting the compressed gas within
to escape, thus causing the explosion.
Within seconds the entire interior of the
building was one mass of fire, and shortly
the blaze protruded through
the roof of the building near the south
west corner of the building. The strong
breeze from the south fanned the flames
onto the adjoining buildings and even
against the wind, did the fire progress so
rapidly that within an hour an entire
row of buildings, from Casey's drug store
to the Anderson lumber yard was leveled.
This latter (which is the property
of Smith Lumber Yard) was the only
property not burned in this block along
the west side of the street, and was saved
because of an intervening space of 80 ft.
between it and the burned area.
Other portions of the town, both to the
north directly in the path of the falling
sparks, as well as the opposite
side of the street were in immediate
danger of also being burned. Only the
valiant and persistent efforts of the
citizens
prevented further destruction. The paint
was blistered and window panes were
cracked in most of the buildings on the
east side of the street opposite the
devastated block, but the constant pouring
of water over the fronts and roofs of
these
buildings saved them.
A large number of people from the
surrounding country had come in to
participate in a reception which was to be
tendered Mr. and Mrs. Nels DeGarlis. The
telephone lines had spread the news of the
fire, to those who were still at
home, so that in a short time several
efficient bucket brigades and fire
companies were at work. The Draper and
Murdo
fire departments were appealed to for
assistance. They hurriedly fitted out a
special train and came down, but the fire
had already leveled the area within the
block and had been check-ed from spreading
further by the time they arrived.
Mrs. Frost received a painful burn on her
left hand and wrist by the explosion of
the lamp, but it is indeed fortune-
ate circumstances that she escaped serious
injury. The Frosts lost all their personal
effects, furniture, etc. Mrs. Frost's
rings and other jewelry were also left
behind in their hurried flight from the
burning building.
The buildings were all of frame
construction except the Vivian State Bank,
which was of cement blocks. The
vault in this building was opened Monday
afternoon and everything was found to be
in good condition. Considerably of
the goods in the Bunnell & Sons
hardware were saved. The Bunnell's
hardware was insured for $2000.
Practically noth-
ing was saved of Frost & Co.'s
merchandise. The insurance carried was
$3500. Mr. Sletto's buildings were insured
for
$1000; Mrs. Bouquet's for $1000; Mr.
Coon's liquor stock for $500; the Vivian
State Bank and the Smith Lumber Co.
carried insurance, the exact amounts of
which have not been ascertained.
All the businesses effected by the fire
with the exception of Frost & Co.,
will resume their business as soon as
they can conveniently do so. The Vivian
State Bank has temporarily opened quarters
in the G. W. White building. Mr.
McLaughlin, the barber who was located in
McKimmie’s pool hall, is again busy
with tonsorial work in one of the small
buildings on Main Street.
The work of reconstruction will begin
shortly with the erection of a modern
fire-proof building by the Vivian
State Bank people. There is good reason to
believe that ere many months have passed a
large building for mercantile
purposes will be built. Vivian has an
extensive trade which necessitates the
immediate reconstruction of many buildings
that were destroyed. And though, it is
unfortunate that the loss falls heavily on
several persons at this time, the com-
munity as a whole, will eventually profit
to the extent of having a whole block of
fire-proof and up-to-date buildings.
Out of the ashes will arise a more
magnificent Vivian.
Local Legion
Post a reality
VIVIAN
RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
A charter has been applied for and granted
by the State and National Headquarters for
the Webster-Newman
Post, No. 157 of the Department of South
Dakota. The following in the procedure of
the first meeting of the ex-soldiers
and sailors of Vivian and vicinity
for the purpose of organizing a local Post
of the American Legion. L.V. Newman elect-
ed temporary chairman.
Committee named by the chairman to suggest
a name for the said post. The committee
could not agree as to
name of the Post, so a vote was
taken of all those present, and the name
Webster- Newman was agreed on, in honor of
two former citizens of Vivian, Harry J.
Webster and L. Newman, who lost their
lives in the War of 1917- 1918. They
valued civilization and all that America
stands for. They gave their lives to the
cause of liberty and justice.
The following officers were elected by
ballot: Post Commander - C.J. Aisinbrey;
Post Vice-Commander - H. B.
Holmes; Post Adjutant - L. V. Newman; Post
Finance Officer - C .J. Gregary; Post
Historian - C. J. Wilson; Post Chaplin -
C. T. Ross; Post Sergeant of Arms - P .H.
Schlotterback.
Vivian
schools
|
|
First
schoolhouse before addition.
Miss Slinde, Teacher
|
The
school closed in the
spring of 1978
|
Spelling
Bee
VIVIAN
WAVE, March 22, 1907
Two contestants from the Lawrence School,
Blanche Gibson and Ethel Lawrence; three
contestants from the
Sletto School, Alma Sletto, Donald Reeves,
and Sander Sletto; five contestants from
the Vivian School, Ruth Shoop,
Sadie Shoop, Olive Koon, and Harry
Thompson met at the Vivian School and
spelled for first and second place in the
district contest. The five best spellers
were Ruth Shoop, Olive Koon, Sadie Shoop,
and Harry Thompson. Ruth won first
place; Olive second place; they will
represent the district at the county
contest in Presho, April 13. Both winners
were
from the Vivian school.
Graduation class play
VIVIAN W AVE: June
2, 1916
The graduating class of Vivian High School
entertained the patrons of the school last
Friday evening, to a class
play entitled, "Twenty Years Hence." Those
graduating were: Signe Sletto, Frank
Weaver, Dorothy McMeeken, and
Howard Morrissy. This was the first class
graduated from Vivian High School.
VIVIAN
RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
Written by Myrtle Dunlap
Vivian has always had a school. First
there was only a one- room building moved
in from the country, in which
only the grade subjects were taught. Some
years later two rooms were added, built on
the west, and the 9th and 10th
grade subjects were taught.
On April 1, 1919, the voters of Vivian and
Hope township held an election at which
time it was decided to con-
solidate. In June of the same year,
$35,000 worth of bonds were issued.
Excavation began in the spring of 1920,
but
progressed slowly throughout the summer.
Not until the spring of 1921 was the work
began in earnest on the building
itself, being completed in time for school
to open in September.
Consolidation stood a severe test in that
it was tried out in the old building with
a small addition built on to
accommodate the extra pupils. In
these four crowded and ill-heated rooms
there was school for two years. The first
year
there were only five teachers, but in the
following year (1922) the intermediate
grades were divided with a teacher for
every two grades.
The bus routes were laid out the first
year and have remained practically the
same. The first year there was
one motor bus, the rest either privately
owned cars or teams. In the fall of
1922 the students moved into the new
build-
ing with a teaching force of six teachers
under the supervision of Prof. Aisinbrey.
Services offered were hot lunches, a
full four year H.S. course, a commercial
course, the Vivian Rattler, the
school paper, night school, basket ball, a
liter-
ary society.
Teachers in 1922: C. J.
Aisinbrey, Supt.; Bertha King, Prin. of
High School; Susanne Gilberts, Marie
Nelson,
Signe Sletto. The School Board: E.
C. Hall, president; Joseph Mott,
Secretary; H. B. Holmes, treasurer;
Anton Syvertson,
Ole Severson, L.E. Hosking, Samuel
Coon.
The cost of the school house, $75.000.
Used for the first time, the 1921-1922
school year. The building, 70x64 ft.
three story building with brick edifice.
Six busses. The total enrollment 110
children--28 high school. The first
basket-
ball team was organized Oct. 1921. Under
the supervision of Miss King, the girls
organized, electing Hattie Shoop as
captain and Margaret King as
secretary-treasurer.
No
identification or date
The boys organized under the supervision
of Prof. Aisinbrey, electing Clarence
King as captain.
Boys basketball, 1921-’22 l-r: Ellis Shoop, Howard
Morrisey, Lloyd Sletto,
Alfred Barnes, Ike Woodward, Maynard
Stolley, Joe Hulce, E. Aisenberry
The
fire escape was added to the school
building Oct. 1921. Warren, Jerry Bevans,
Einor Sletto, George Stolley
and Lloyd Howder were one of the first
basketball teams. The first cheerleaders
were Pete Hilmoe, Paul Schlotterback,
Jack Goodwin, and Joe St. Onge. When the
home team would make a basket these
lovelies would form a huddle, (there
was always one of them deep in the
middle). They would chant, "Eat tobacco;
chew tobacco; drink bay rum, Vivian's ball
team makes things hum!" Now to
explain the guy in the middle; he would be
tipping a bottle up. Of course, they took
turns being in the middle.
According to the Vivian Rattler,
the first Christmas program was held in
the building in 1921, to what is believ-
ed to be the biggest crowd ever assembled
in Vivian. The large auditorium was gaily
decorated in streamers of red and
green. Near the stage stood a finely
decorated Christmas tree, brilliantly lit
with many candles. The program included:
Fairy Dance - Primary Girls; Recitation:
"Santa Claus and the Mouse". Lucille
Authier; Recitation: "A Wish" Fern Heath;
Essay: "Origin of Christmas Customs".
Myrtle Dunlap; Pantomine: "Slient Night"
June Stolley, Hattie Shoop, Myrtle
Dunlap, Lois Casey and Clara Hulce;
Recitation: "Possibilitt." Willjam
Stolley; .Recitation: "Waiting for-the
26th" .:.
Chester Dunlap; Vocal solo: "Merry
Christmas To All and To All A Good-night",
Lois Casey.
Hot
lunches
VIVIAN RATTLER: Oct.
15, 1921
The idea of hot lunches is to accommodate
the children who have to make the drives
in cold weather and who
often times find their lunches frozen.
One hot dish-- such as cocoa or
soup, or some such dish. The cost of lunch
would
cost the parents about 4 or 5 cents per
day for each child, or, if the parent
would rather bring milk or vegetables full
credit would be given at current market
prices for whatever they bring. It was
planned to buy an oil stove and have
the Senior girls do the cooking during the
last period every morning. The general
supervision would be under the
direction of Miss King and Miss Sletto.
The
question of the stove was solved in that
Mrs. W. Stolley donated the use of her
three-burner kerosene stove.
So, on Monday, Dec. 5, the first hot lunch
was served. The menu for the first week:
Monday---cocoa; Tuesday---soup;
Wednesday—baked potatoes;
Thursday-.-tomato soup and cocoa;
Friday.--corn or peas. Thirty-six
students took advan-
tage of a hot dish with their usual cold
lunch brought from home.
School enrollment, 1921
VIVIAN RATTLER: Nov.
1, 1921
Seniors (class of '22) President:
Ruth Dunlap; V. President: Lois Hosking;
Sec. / Treas.: Hattie Shoop; Class
Historian: Lois Hosking; Class Reporter:
Hattie Shoop; Class motto: Pas a Pas
("Step by step"); Class colors: Old rose
and silver;
Juniors: (class of 23)
President: Clarence King; V. President:
Genivieve Mott; Sec. / Treas.: Winnifred
Boal;
Class Reporter: Eva Hibma; Class
Historian: June Stolley; Class motto:
"Rowing, not drifting"; Class colors: gold
and
cardinal ; Class flower: Red rose.
Sophomores: (class of 24) President:
Elaine Jewitt; V. President: Roy
McCormick; Sec. / Treas.: Margaret King;
Class Reporter: Charles Rathcke; Class
Historian: Grace Dunlap; Class motto: En
Avant ("Forward"); Class colors:
Purple and white.
Freshmen: (class of 25)
President: May Barnes; V. President:
Melvin Myers; Sec. / Treas.: Evelyn
Hosking;
Class Reporter: Lois Casey; Class
Historian: Fred Bevans; Class motto:
"Either find a path or make one." Class
colors:
orange and black
The Vivian
High School closed
After
26 years of serving the Vivian community,
the school had to begin to accept the
changes brought on by a
decrease in the school's decreased
enrollment. The Vivian High School closed
in 1970 --our students enrolling in the
newly founded County High School,
located in Presho.
Classes, first grade through the eighth
grade, were continued in the Vivian
school, until 1972, at which time
the 7th and 8th grades were moved to the
junior high division at Kennebec. Grades
1-6 continued to be held in Vivian
with three teachers. Through the 1977-78
school term, grades 2-5 were held, with
two teachers and one tutor.
The school closed permanently in the
spring of 1978.
In December, 1979, the school building was
sold at public auction for $375 to Mrs.
Leroy Authier, of Vivian. By
1980 there was nothing left on the hill
but a skeleton wall of the lower hall,
which once welcomed the students to enter
and be graduates. Through these halls
those graduates walked out into the world
to pursue notable and successful
careers and professions.
Vivian's
50th Anniversary, 1956
By E. C. Hall
LYMAN COUNTY
HERALD: June 28, 1956
The town of Vivian was named after the
wife of one of the Milwaukee Railroad
officials of that time. Vivian as
we know it did not exist in the spring of
1906, when the railroad extended their
line from Presho to Murdo, the latter
being in Lyman county at that time.
However there was a group of business
houses down on the flat west of the
present
town, owned and operated by ranchers and
homesteaders, who drove or rode horseback
to and from work. These people
were all waiting for the lot sale so they
could secure lots on Main Street and move
their places of business up there.
The first building to be erected on the
flat was a hotel and restaurant, built and
operated by S.D. McLarnan who
was the owner of the ranch now owned by
Herb Smith. He hauled all the lumber for
this and other buildings, from
Presho by team, during the winter months
of 1905-and 1906. He also built a livery
barn on his ranch, close to his hotel,
which was operated by Dave Weaver, a
homesteader. In addition to the above, he
built a blacksmith shop a necessity
in those days. This was operated by Rube
Ward, who homesteaded the place where Guy
Ham lived and which is now
owned by Joe St Onge.
E. K. Sletto, prominent rancher and owner
of the present Ray Heston farm,
built a large department store and
did a big business with the homesteaders.
He also handled machinery which was under
the management of Oscar
Lintvedt, a young rancher living in what
is now Jones County. They did a tremendous
business in mowers during the
next two years.
A. C. Whitbaeck, a banker from
Chamberlain, built and operated the first
bank in Vivian, which was under the
management of Art Walker, our first
banker, who is now living near Los
Angeles, Calif.
In the year 1906 there were no houses or
residences in Vivian as all of the
business men and employees had
ranches and homesteads where they resided.
They usually had a cot, in their place of
business where they occasionally
slept, or stayed at the hotel. The town of
Vivian was platted in 1906 and the plat
was filed on June 29, 1906, and com-
prised six blocks, consisting of the block
on which the Community Hall is located,
and two blocks west, and three blocks
to the south.
The first lot sale was completed in July,
1906. Lot 11 block 2 sold to Joseph Moore,
a rancher east of town who
operated the Moore store and post office,
also a large stage depot. He moved the
store and post office building immed-
iately from the ranch, which was under the
management of his daughter, Annabelle, who
was Vivian's first post
mistress. She married Art Walker, our
first banker. This building is now
occupied by the Goodwin Hardware and it
was probably the first building on Main
Street, and the first store to be operated
on Main Street.
Lots 5, 6 and 7 were purchased by E.K.
Sletto, who moved his store to the new
location. S.D. McLarnan bought
Lot 4, block 5 just north of the Sletto
property and moved his hotel up there. The
Smith Lumber Co. and the Anderson
Lumber Co. purchased their lots now
occupied by the Hilton Lumber Yard. John
Smith, a homesteader, was manager
of the Anderson Lumber Co., Edward Jostad
managed the Smith Lumber Co.
On August 9, 1906, F.W. Schenk bought lot
1 block 5, the corner lot north of the
bank and erected a saloon which
was operated by A. E. Gwin and John
McKinna. This was probably the second
building erected on Main Street. The
same day A. C. Whitbeck purchased lot 16,
block 6 and moved his bank to that
location. Other places started and
operated on the east side of Main Street
included a feed store, owned and operated
by Anton Syvertsen and Claus
Sanders, ranchers who owned at that time
the farm now owned by Maynard Stolley and
Joe Hansler; a restaurant and
hotel operated by Ole Magestad; a real
estate office owned by Charles Flint; a
harness shop operated by William
Stolley; butcher shop owned by Carl
Kettleson, a homesteader and Vivian's
first butcher.
The churches in 1906 were located in the
country. The Lutheran church was located
north of the Carl Lintvedt
home and was later moved to town. The
Methodist church was located in Hope
Township and the first minister was
Rev. Minty, who was homesteading close by.
The church was later moved to town about
1911. In 1907 the first Catholic
church was erected on the same lots where
the present church stands.
Old-timers in 1906 include; Albert
Anderson, Knut Knudtson, Alfred and Frank
Zobrosky, Schervem Bros., Paul
Pitan, Emil Wilske, and a number of other
ranchers on the White River. Jorgen and
Peter Clausen, Joe Moore, Anton
Syvertsen, Clause Sanders, E. Hultman, Ole
and Knut Sletto, Robert Saville, Zack
Sutley, Billie Richards, Ole and
Lyder Vik, Randolph Devine, Peter Eckland,
Lyder Underly, Jim Hay-wood,
R. P. Juhnke, M. Andrews who
operated
a roadhouse near Vera, E.K. Sletto, Oscar
and Carl Lint-vedt, Knut Selland, John
Hultman, Knut Seth, Sr. and many
others.
The first addition to Vivian was platted a
year or two later, and added several
blocks to the east and to the
north of the original town.
In the spring of 1907, several new
business houses were erected, among them
being the real estate office owned
by White and Parrick which is now occupied
by the pool hall, a pool hall north of the
hotel and operated by George Flint;
a furniture store built by D.G. Thomas
(which is still standing being the
building just north of the pool hall) a
barber
shop located south of the Whitbeck Bank; a
doctor's office in the same block, owned
by Dr. Allison who was homesteading
near White River; a drug store, owned and
operated by Carrie Sacker, a homesteader,
which is now occupied by the bar;
a livery barn built east of the bar.
By the summer of 1907, work had
started on several houses among them one
being built by Joseph Morrissy
and now owned by Joe St. Onge; a house
built by Edward Jostad, now owned by Lloyd
May; a house built by Bernard
Jones, Vivian's first drayman and now
owned by William Weller.
Vivian's first school house was located
about where Joe Hansler now lives. The
first teacher was Mrs. Blanche
Lugi, who was homesteading west of town.
Four of the pupils of the first school
were Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Heath, Mrs.
Christine Larson, and Mrs. Grover Heath.
The school house has been moved and was
once occupied by Dr. Webster.
A new school house was erected in 1907 and
was located where the Catholic parsonage
now stands. The first teacher in
the new school was Miss lmelia Slinde.
Most of the newcomers of 1905-06 and -07
were young men and women who came out here
to get a piece of land
and grow up with the country. They had
high hopes for the future because 1906 was
a very wet year, and there was a
big crop of hay and grain. Corn, which was
raised on breaking made as high as 25 to
30 bu. per acre without cultivation.
The fields were small, mostly five and ten
acres for proving up.
Naturally, these young people
thought they had struck it rich. But they
were due for a sad awakening, when
the dry years came along. Many of the
young homesteaders left as soon as they
had proved up, while others got married
and remained to farm, until many of them
were forced to leave. However many of them
who came during those years
stuck it out and some are still living
here. Among them being Ole Rognsta, Mr.
and Mrs. Ole Sletto, Mr. and Mrs. Carl
Lintvedt, Mrs. Oscar Lintvedt; Mr. and
Mrs. George Williams, William Stolley, Tom
Fagsland, Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Kennedy, Roy Kennedy, Mr. and Mrs. Olaf
Erikson, Mr. and Mrs. Hosking, Mrs. Maude
Haywood, Mrs. E. Harlan, Mrs.
Frank Heath, Mrs. Knut Selland, Mrs. Carl
Kettlesen, Mrs. Bertha Bower, Mr. and Mrs.
Gover Heath, Mr. and Mrs.
Ray Heston, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Prahl, Mr.
and Mrs. Severson, Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Hall
and Andy Holsinger, who is
probably the only homesteader in this
vicinity who still lives on his original
homstead.
Former homesteaders leaving here during
that period and now residing elsewhere
include Mr. and Mrs. Olaf
Burull, Chamberlain, Mrs. Nellie Gorman,
Miller, Mrs. Verna Jewitt, Rapid City,
Mrs. Anna Kelly, Barboo, Wisc,,
James McWhirter, Belle Fourche, Mr. and
Mrs. Amos Thorson, Draper, Mrs. John
Moore, State of Washington, Mrs.
Owen Murphy, Kennebec, Mrs. Imelia
Green, Prairie du Chien, Wisc., Mr. and
Mrs. Hans Henrickson, Pierre, Mrs.
Allison Myers, Rapid City, Mr. and Mrs.
Coon, Rapid City and Mrs. Earl Shirk, Hot
Springs. Information of others is
not available.
Many of the children of the homesteaders
of that period are now living and have
children and grandchildren,
and they, together with those families
that moved in after the homesteading days
were over, have prospered financially
and have developed this country into a
good farming and stock-raising community.
Wonderful progress has been made
when one considers that in 1906 there was
little fencing, no improved roads, 10 by
12 shacks to live in, no electricity,
no inside plumbing, or no main street
especially in the spring.
There was very little farming except in
patches, on each homestead. All of these
old homesteaders, their
children, and others who came later
deserve a lot of credit for sticking to
the country and building into a prosperous
community. E.C. Hall, May 24,1956
|